Otoplasty, also known as “ear pinning,” is a surgical procedure to reshape the ear, most often performed to decrease ear prominence.
Who is a candidate for ear surgery?
Dr. Brace offers otoplasty for adults over the age of 18. The optimal age for children seeking otoplasty is around four to five years old once the ears have reached adult size. Surgery is not advised before this age. The reasons to undergo ear surgery include the following:
- Men and women who feel that their ears are too prominent.
- Parents who have a child who needs ear reshaping surgery to avoid teasing.
- Individuals with asymmetrical or uneven ear structure.
- Those who have overly large ears in proportion to the rest of the face.
- People with drooping or elongated earlobes stretched due to heavy earrings or age.
- Patients who had gauged earrings want to restore the earlobes to a natural appearance.
- Those with torn or damaged ears or earlobes from earrings, injuries, or trauma.
- Correction of congenital ear deformities.